Hi Everyone! With the release of SharePoint 2019 this week I am officially ending development on the SharePoint 2010 edition of Chatter for SharePoint. So what does this mean?
- The 2010 edition will no longer be offered for sale; existing customers will continue to be supported and encouraged to move to a newer and supported version of SharePoint.
- The final supported version of Chatter for SharePoint 2010 will be 2.7.0.x; No new features will be added to the 2010 codebase – only critical fixes will be released as needed for the next year or so.
- This does not affect any of the other editions of Chatter for SharePoint; 2013, 2016, 2019 and SharePoint Online versions are actively being developed and improved.
- Support for SharePoint 2019 will be released in version 2.8; a formal announcement on this is forthcoming.
- The next major release (version 3.0) is still under development and will be released for 2013, 2016, 2019 and SharePoint Online.
Thank you to all of my CFSP2010 customers throughout the years! If you have any questions on this please feel free to reach out to me.
Hi Everyone! It’s been awhile since my last post – all is well. Wanted to share with you my plans for the next major release of Chatter for SharePoint (on-prem and Online). Version 3.0 development has begun and will likely run through November 2018. Among the improvements for this release will be the ability to edit posts and comments, support for new feed items and most of all support for V32 and higher API calls. The API change is huge as the structure of many elements in Chatter changed from V31 to V32 and higher. Also looking to improve the feed rendering performance with these updates. Look for more details soon as development ramps up!
It’s official! Chatter for SharePoint Online launches today – November 15, 2017!
Chatter for SharePoint Online is currently the only commercially available solution for integrating Salesforce Chatter and SharePoint Online. Take it for spin and see how easy it is to make SharePoint social!
Click here to sign up for your free 30-day no-obligation, no-hassle evaluation. If you need help – just email me.
Hi Everyone! I am pleased to announce that Chatter for SharePoint Online will ‘officially’ launch on November 15, 2017! For the next 30 days I would like to invite current and potential customers to preview the new service absolutely free. When the product officially launches you will have the opportunity to extend your evaluation (once) for an additional 30 days or subscribe to the service.
To sign up for the Customer Preview use this link: https://sharepointadept.com/evaluation-request-form/
The service documentation and downloads can be found here: https://sharepointadept.com/chatter-for-sharepoint/
I’d like to thank all of our BETA testers – your feedback has been much appreciated. If you have any questions or would like pricing details please feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
Hi Everyone! This is the update many of you have been waiting for – the principal development of the Chatter for SharePoint Online solution is complete. The app has now moved into the BETA stage and I am actively seeking organizations that would be interested in helping me test the solution.
To participate in the BETA you must meet the following criteria:
- Have an instance of SharePoint Online
- Have an instance of Salesforce with Chatter users
- Be willing to actively use the solution and provide feedback on a weekly basis
To sign up – please use this form: https://sharepointadept.com/evaluation-request-form/
I will be in contact to setup your instance.
The BETA test will conclude at my discretion – but not later than November 30, 2017. The BETA will be convertible to the Production version at the conclusion of the test period if you want to subscribe and use the service.
Please contact me directly for pricing and other details. Thanks!
Hi Everyone. Less than a week has gone by since I officially announced the active development of Chatter for SharePoint Online. I am pleased to report that things are moving along faster than anticipated. I have the feed web part, authentication and the hosted code up and running. Still plenty to do but I wanted to share some initial screenshots of the progress:
Above: Screenshot of the web part running in SharePoint Online
Above: Close-up of the Feed Menu
About this App Info
Again – not done yet. Still have a lot of code to go through and test/update, a configuration script to write, additional features like Ribbon integration and Search to work on – plus all of the other bits that go into a finished product. I will be reaching out to select clients to help me test this app shortly. If you are willing and able to help me test – which includes providing feedback on usage, errors, performance, etc please reach out to me at email@example.com. Thanks!
Hi Everyone. A significant number of my customers have reached out to me over the last several months about my Chatter for SharePoint solution and getting a version for SharePoint Online. I have been reluctant in the past to do a complete rewrite of the solution to make it compatible with SharePoint Online for several reasons – including performance, capabilities, cost and the sheer effort of converting all of this code to the client-side object model that Microsoft enforces on the multi-tenant platform. However – things change.
With Salesforce discontinuing their SharePoint products and ThreeWill (the only other vendor besides myself in this space) cancelling their SharePoint Online compatible product I’ve sort of been left ‘holding the bag’, so to speak, for this niche market. And a quick thank you again to Salesforce and ThreeWill for voluntarily recommending my products and services – I appreciate that very much.
It’s clear that the future of SharePoint is in the cloud; and it has reached a certain maturity and awareness that it’s time to start playing in this space. So I am happy to announce that Chatter for SharePoint Online is officially under active development and, unless something unexpected happens, should be ready for release in Q4 of 2017.
Here are some initial details so as to set expectations properly:
- This version is based on the feature set of the on-prem version of Chatter for SharePoint 2.6 (the latest release as of this time)
- The on-prem product will continue to be developed and, where practical, features in one will be present in the other
- The solution will be a provider-hosted App; this allows me to reuse much of the existing code and the server-side performance gains – like caching (in this scenario – I am the provider; you will not need any infrastructure to run this app)
- The initial release will include the feed web part functionality only; no User Profile Service integration or things that were typically in the Enterprise feature set. Some features can’t be reproduced; others will be added later. I will expand on this as development progresses further.
- This solution will be offered as a subscription model – based on a user count. Subscriptions will include multiple environments (Sandbox, Production), support, maintenance and scheduled upgrades
- This will be compatible with all Chatter licenses – including Chatter Free
- Pricing and other details are in the works
I will be posting additional details of the development progress and the product’s capabilities in the coming weeks. If you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment or contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!